Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Our one month Homeschool milestone..

So, a month ago today we started homeschooling. It has been the best month and a lot has changed..in both mine and my daughters life.

At the beginning of the month my daughters hand writing was big,messy and widely spread (spaced). Most of her numbers she couldn't even form correctly (2,5,7,8,4). She could barely count higher 12 with out going from 10,11,12,14,17..(20 she said it was 12). When she would write words she would mix capital letter with lower case letters.. (cAt). She had no idea how to write a sentence. She knew what a "period, question mark and an exclamation point" were but didn't know how to use them. When it came to adding and subtracting, she didn't understand that you had to take two groups of numbers together to find the answer..etc.

A mouth later.. Her hand writing is much smaller,neater and she actually writes on regular notebook paper and is able to write on the line. She knows that you are supposed to start a sentence with a capital letter and ens it with a ".?!"  Her numbers are all written correctly and they all look like numbers (instead of a 2 look like a Z..and a 8 looked like two circles on top of each other..)
She also knows the following:
- what a noun,verb and describing words
-what a synonym and antonyms is.
- how to add and subtract numbers up to 15
- place value (hunders, tens and ones place)
- constant blends (bl,tr,th,st,pl..etc..)
-short and long vowels
- when there is a "silent e" at the end of a word the 1st vowel will say it's name
- sequence of events (what comes first.second, third and fourth in a story)
-contractions (I'll, she's, it's...)

This is just to list a handful of things I have taught her since we started home schooling.

Other things we have been able to do, that she was not able to do in public school..We start our day when we want..Although, most mornings I do like to start at the same time at 8:30 but if there is ever a day were my daughter didn't go to bed until late. I will let her sleep in and allow her to wake up when she is ready to wake up.

Other things that have changed is my daily schedule has never been better. After we finish our school work I fix lunch and allow my daughter to play on startfall.com. I do laundry and dishes everyday. I dress the beds every morning..and nothing is dragging out on the floor..Shoot I was so motivated the other day I cleaned out a closet and organized it and had 5 bags for Good Will when I was done! :)

Choosing to homeschool was one of the best decisions I have ever made.I am happy and most importantly my daughter is happy!



Well, that's all for now. Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment as long as it's nice

No comments:

Post a Comment